Great news: Cheltenham Civic Society has received a National Lottery grant of £9,800 for a First World War memorials project in Cheltenham. Awarded through the Heritage Lottery Fund’s "First World War then and now programme", the project will focus on conserving twenty-three wooden battlefield crosses currently located in Bouncers Lane Cemetery. An education project with students and staff at Pittville School, led by history teacher Hannah Taylor, and supported by local historian and expert on WW1, Neela Mann, runs alongside the conservation of the crosses. Congratulations to CCS member (and former Vice-Chair) Freddie Gick for a successful application.
Wooden Crosses in Bouncers Lane Cemetery, Cheltenham
To read the full Press Release click WW1BattlefieldCrosses
The 2018 Cheltenham Heritage Open Days Brochure is now available online or at The Wilson Tourist Information desk.
To download or view the brochure, click on the link below.
Former Whitbread Flowers Brewery, Henrietta Street, Cheltenham
Despite the World Cup on TV, many members came to hear
Amber Patrick's talk on industrial buildings - their use and
re-use in Cheltenham, the county and beyond.
Archaeologist Amber, a specialist in maltings, showed
members various buildings including maltings in Newark,
Notts. and Cheltenham's old brewery, parts of which still
exist in The Brewery complex. Other industrial buildings
included the Strozzi Palace Hotel in Cheltenham, which still
contains an electricity sub-station. The old wagon and
carriage works in Gloucester were of particular interest
where the fine quality brickwork is in excellent condition
despite being well over a hundred years old. Sadly, the
carriage and wagons are no longer manufactured there
and part of the building has been taken over by a
speedway track. Members were fascinated to see
photographs of Cheltenham's old abattoir and compared
it with a rather fine well-preserved abattoir in Tain,
In June, we were pleased to visit St. Edward's School Sixth Form buildings at Charlton Park. King Edward the Confessor became Lord of the Manor in 1041 and a homestead at Babba's Ford (Bafford) probably became the site of Charlton Park's manor house. Tour guide, Dale Scarboro, began by showing us the pretty chapel just beyond the reception area. We then toured the elegant Georgian west wing and admired the Chippendale style staircase leading to modern school departments. The present day music department contains a beam with "1732" carved into the wood. The tour concluded with a visit to the classrooms built along one side of the old stable yard. Headmistress, Mrs. Clayfield, welcomed the group to her study for tea and cakes which were much appreciated after such an interesting tour.
Applications discussed at the
9 August Planning Forum